Detailed Virus Protection Techniques
Virus Prevention Techniques Virus prevention can be accomplished by adhering to the following guidelines: – for example
– Use virus protection programs such as Microsoft Security Essentials or MacAfee. Having the program loaded on your computer is not enough! You should always run live updates to download new virus definitions.
– Keep your computer up to date with the latest security patch at windowsupdate.com.
– Make sure your computer’s built-in firewall is enabled.
Locking Your Computer and Waking From Sleep
A quick way to prevent physical access to your computer when you walk away from it is to lock it or to put it to sleep. You can leave all your files open when relying on this method. When you unlock it or wake it up, you will be back where you were when you left the computer.
– On Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional, press [Ctrl+Alt+Delete], then click Lock Computer. With the Windows 2000 or XP lock, anyone walking up to your computer will need to enter the password for your login.
– On Mac OS X, select System Preferences from the Apple menu, then Desktop & Screen. Click on the Screen Saver tab. Select the screen saver you like. You can also specify the number of minutes of inactivity before the screen saver starts. To require a password when the computer awakes, select System Preferences, then Security. Check the setting for Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver. When you leave your computer, you can select Sleep from the Apple menu. Anyone waking up your computer will need to enter the password for your login.