PO Box 60642 140 Pine Street Florence, MA 01062
We build homes, hope, and community in Franklin and Hampshire Counties.
Find similar internships: Business, Civic engagement, Design, Education, Environmental advocacy, Green Building, Green industry, Human services, Manufacturing, Marketing, Office Management, Videography
Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity (PVHH) builds homes, hope, and community in Franklin and Hampshire Counties. PVHH is a housing ministry dedicated to strengthening communities by empowering low-income families to change their lives and the lives of future generations through homeownership opportunities. This is accomplished by working in partnership with diverse people, from all walks of life, to build simple, decent, affordable housing.
PVHH is working on an energy efficient duplex in Amherst in 2016 as well as planning for construction of two energy efficient new construction projects in Greenfield and Amherst for 2017. PVHH tries to incorporate many sustainable practices into our construction process and builds all new homes to ENERGY STAR standards.
Start dateSeptember 2016
End dateDecember 2016
The Green Building Intern for Fall 2016 would be assisting PVHH in building organizational capacity by providing support to our volunteer build team leaders. The intern would be tasked with creating tasks in three main areas:
• Document Construction Process – Through photographs, video, writing and other techniques document the techniques being used at our build site with an emphasis on green building techniques. Assist the build team in maintaining a list of all plan changes and incorporating sustainable practices. The goal of this documentation is both short and long term – to assist the volunteers sharing information from one week to the next and to assist the planning of future projects. Take notes at build team meetings and create action lists each week.
• Volunteer & Family Education – Create educational materials for new volunteers and partner families to get up to speed quickly on the build tasks at hand. Multi-media educational materials encouraged. This may involve curating links to additional online educational materials, creating on site signage about green building details, etc.
• Participatory Learning – Act as a mentor to other volunteers and assist in the successful implementation of our construction projects through on site work and office work.
• Inventory – The intern will visit all job sites and storage trailers to update our inventory lists as needed.
Required intern qualifications
• Interest in green building and energy efficient homes, experience or class work within this area preferred
• Excellent writing skills – able to convey complex technical information in a simple accessible manner
• Photography and Video – able to photograph or video construction, then edit into usable documents or short videos
• High proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel Skills – able to use styles and indexes in Word, able to sort and use formulas in Excel
• Able to effectively communicate with, listen to and learn from others
• Able to work with individuals of different ages, backgrounds and life experiences
• A car to be able to access job sites and meet with volunteers at locations other than the office
This position is for 15 to 18 hours per week for 12 consecutive weeks. The 12 consecutive weeks must be scheduled between September 1, 2016 and December 15, 2016. Schedule will include weekend and weekday work. Pay is $14/hour for this temporary, part-time, at-will position. Approval by the MassCEC internship program is required.
To apply you must do two things:
1. Apply to the MassCEC internship program and get listed in their database: http://www.masscec.com/programs/massachusetts-clean-energy-internship-program
2. Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your interest in our particular internship
Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or marital status in its programs or activities.
Desired outcomes of internship
-Learning Green Building techniques and organization
-How to support an organization which creates sustainable affordable housing
Compensation: $14/hr contingent upon eligibility for MassCEC Clean Energy Internship Program