Jail Garden Part 1

This will be the first post of a three part series about my experience as an intern working to build an educational garden and compost system at the Franklin County House of Corrections.  I had originally hoped to be posting on this blog throughout the semester in order to document my experiences more throughout, however due to the understandably rigid bureaucracy of the Jail, and the evolution of how the program unfolded, these afterthoughts will have to suffice.

First off I want to say that this internship was not nearly as easy as it sounds.  I have a yearning to shoot mega doses of social justice into the places around us that need it most, but I’ve realized now how much of that work is tedious, monotonous, and down right clerical at times.  Much of the hours that composed this internship were spent with my eyes pasted to the screen of a computer, often with my phone sandwiched between my ear and my shoulder trying to sort out the logistics of this project.

For the first several months, given it was the coldest winter in years here in New England, the highlights of this internship were when I actually managed an in person meeting with someone who was helping me pull things together.  I say “actually managed” because the staff of the FCHOC are particularly overworked, and finding a time to meet that works for more than 1/2 of a person is quite tricky.  Luckily, other facets of my life have me visiting the jail on a regular basis so for the most part I could survey the human and physical landscape during my various times there.  Everyone has to sign into the jail upon arrival, and often I would sign in as a GCC visitor, leave for lunch, come back and sign in under another organization, leave and do it all again in the same day.  Kind of crazy making, and the C.O.’s had a particularly wonderful time trying to figure out what the hell I was doing there.  At some point, given that I also worked for Amherst College at the jail, they just started to call me “that teacher”, and it fit good enough.

That’s a good prelude to my next post which will follow shortly…