Abundance at Rockridge Retirement Community

photo 4 copy( Above is Ian putting in shallots)

photo 3 copy

(Above Photo: The New Beds )

THE ELMO YOUNG GARDEN

I am not sure how to express the amount of learning that has occurred and knowledge obtained throughout this semester! I will try to capture the feeling in words.

For the past semester and a half Ian Walton and myself have been working on creating a small scale food system for Rockridge Retirement Community in Northampton, Ma. The idea being that the kitchen staff and residents can have full access to food from a garden.  The kitchen can easily access the garden beds due to their proximate location–this ease of access will help the integration of produce into the meals served at the community.

Ian and have spent hours going over what the constraints were for the project and how to keep it sustainable and a cyclical system. We proposed to Rockridge, back in the fall, that we create a guidebook for future volunteers, interns, staff and residents. Throughout this process Ian and I have been conscientious of bringing the knowledge we have learned in the Farm & Food Systems program at GCC to help us. We have sourced all our materials locally and through donations. The amount of support we have received and encouragement is invaluable. It is amazing just how much people are willing to help if you just ask.

The other amazing aspect of this internship is getting to know the residents at Rockridge. I have befriended a few and ones whom I see regularly. Their reception to our work in the garden is wonderful to see progress over the last few months. The other day I was out working and I saw Miriam, a regular that I run into and have struck up a friendship with. She helped me plant pansies and violas (donated by Andrews Greenhouse) for Mothers Day. We planted in the beds and put them in big pots and sat and chatted for hours. It was such a wonderful exchange. She was telling me about her history and her trials and tribulations in life and we were both just enjoying each others’ company. It is very apparent that  a lot of the residents don’t get enough company. It is such a warm feeling to see them light up when they are given the chance to be heard. photo 5 copy(Above is a photo of Miriam planting pansies)

Currently sprouting in the beds are: Peas, Leeks, Scallions, Shallots, Romaine Lettuce, Chives, Times, Spinach, Oregano, Mint, Mesclun mix and Cabbage.  We have a big planting day May 30th where we will put the rest of the plants into the ground. Once that is done we will then focus our attention on creating a system for weed and water maintenance. Along with that we will be documenting and finishing up our guidebook.

It is my hope that as this internship winds down, that we will have helped Rockridge succeed in maintaining this system. I will be contributing volunteer hours throughout the summer to see the garden to harvest. However after that, there will be a need for regular volunteers and interns to help maintain and scale up the system. It is a wonderful place to be and this project is just constantly growing and moving in directions that are above what is expected! I am putting the call out to everyone on this blog site who might be interested to contact me.

I want to give a huge Thank You to Ian for being a wonderful partner! I also want to Thank everyone else for contributing to the success of this internship.