Just Roots – The Journey of Purpose

Hey everyone!

My name is Nate Rogers. Over the past few months I have been interning at the Just Roots farm located right here in Greenfield Mass. I am new to this whole blog process, so bare with me as I learn the ropes. These blogs will be about my daily experiences, goals, and events that take place at the farm. To start off, I’ll share with you how I got involved with Just Roots.

While incarcerated, an opportunity arose where a few selected people would be able to work on a local farm a couple days a week and receive college credit from Greenfield Community College. The hiring process was based on a written essay and a formal interview. Out of several, myself and one other person were chosen to come work at the Just Roots program. I could hardly wait to start the journey into the farming life.

Before I ever even heard of Just Roots, my days were filled with anxiety and little hope for my future. Its been several weeks since I walked out of those jail doors and I can confidently say that I am more grounded in life then ever before. Just Roots has given me a purpose and drive in life that was once missing. I am eager to share with you all how my life has gradually changed through working at the farm.

(Here is me harvesting some Dino Kale earlier this year, and yes I am wearing a bee helmet.)

Them buggers after my soul!

Them buggers after my soul!

(This is me and my friend Juan acting triumphant over all the kale and broccoli we just planted. There is so much more to plant!)

10505483_10152346256758576_6340802470394650019_n