Just Roots – Mulling it Over

My time at the Just Roots farm has been filled with learning and internal reflection. There are times when you get to work by yourself and that’s when the real work takes place. As I am working with my hands, my mind is endlessly asking questions and searching for what makes me tick. I think everyone at one point in their life will look down at the earth and question their whole existence on this ever turning sphere. As a kid growing up in a small suburban town, I spent most of the day exploring the woods and climbing trees. I became to appreciate the landscapes I knew so well, becoming a familiar face to the surrounding wildlife and people who were on the same endeavors.

The times I ever felt a spiritual essence was when I would gaze at a starry night sky under the tallest of pines I could find. I never thought that in my local town I would find the same kind of connection with nature, people and myself. This feeling is hard to explain, and maybe there is just no explanation. Its the most primitive kind of work I’ve ever done, in terms of strictly using your hands and nature running its course. I have become the harvester, the gatherer that everyone has embedded deep within psyche thanks to our ancestors.

I wonder if they were capable of asking the same questions I ask myself out there in the field. Did all this time alone gathering food aid in the development of the Explorer? The Inventor? The Philosopher? The Crusader for spirituality? Farming is a lifestyle that will be a part of my life for many years to come. Without this opportunity to work at Just Roots, my life would be much different now. Thank you to all the people who were a part of getting me there, to give me the direction I need to better my life, the very thing I forgot how to do. My time here is far from over. You’ll be hearing more from me in days to come.

The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature. -” Joseph Campbell

WP_20140821_029