Board of Trustees welcomes two new members

September 19, 2007

Governor Deval Patrick has appointed two new members to the Greenfield Community College Board of Trustees. Eileen Torchio Miller, a ’74 graduate of GCC who lives in Goshen, and Laura Coelen, who lives in Leverett will be joining the Board this month.

“I am very happy that Eileen and Laura have been named by Gov. Patrick as trustees for GCC,” said Patricia Crosson, Chair of the Board. “Both are very accomplished and active community members and will bring extraordinary talent and vision to the board. I look forward to working with them.” “The GCC community applauds these appointments,” said GCC President Bob Pura. “Eileen and Laura arrive with experiences, insights and skill sets that will serve our college well. Most important are the values they share regarding the significance of the GCC mission. We are excited about these appointments.”

Miller is a member of the GCC Alumni Association and will serve as its representative on the Board. “I was honored to be appointed,” she said. Miller, who is a probation officer at the Franklin County Corrections Center, has been involved with GCC for years. She was a former member of the GCC Foundation Board, has been on the Criminal Justice Advisory Board for 10 years and is working on the Title III Student Advisory Grant. “I’m primarily doing this because GCC had a profound impact on my life and my daughter’s life,” she said of serving on the Board. “The faculty at GCC pays attention to the students. The community of the College can often see potential in a student before the student sees potential for growth in themselves. The faculty and staff at GCC change lives.”

Crosson said she is pleased to welcome Miller to the board, noting her long standing involvement with the college. “She has served GCC well for many years and this experience will be invaluable for the trustees.”

Coelen said she too is a great believer in community colleges. Her father went to one in California, and with his economic background he would not have been able to go as far in life as he did if it had not been for that community college. He went on to teach law at the University of Pennsylvania. “I’ve worked most of my professional life in higher education, and I just know that community colleges are one of the most important parts of the system,” Coelen said. Coelen is retired now, but she still serves as a consultant for higher education institutions. She said more than half of all college students start off at community colleges. She respects that students at community colleges are there for many reasons, whether that’s to go on to a four-year degree, to get job skills, or to do as she did and enrich their lives in their later years. “I really think community colleges open doors, and I’m delighted to have a chance to join Board in Greenfield,” Coelen said. “I have great respect for GCC’s president and am looking forward to serving on the Board.” “Laura brings extensive experience in community colleges and higher education, especially in planning, institutional research and development,” Crosson said. “She will be an asset to the Board.”