33 of the Best and Brightest Join Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society

April 26, 2011

High-achieving Greenfield Community College students get more than good grades – they get honored.  Each semester over 200 GCC students meet the strict eligibility requirements for GCC's Alpha Sigma Omicron chapter of Phi Theta Kappa Phi, the international honor society for two-year colleges. Requirements include completing 12 semester hours with a GPA of 3.5 or better and maintaining a GPA of 3.25 or better.  Membership in PTK is valuable for students while at GCC and in the future.  PTK focuses on scholarship, fellowship, service and leadership.  PTK members can compete for scholarships offered by four-year colleges seeking transfer students.

GCC's President Pura said, "It is my privilege to extend an invitation to all students who qualify for membership and recognize their commitment to hard work and academic excellence.  Our students often balance working and raising families with the rigorous program of study needed to meet PTK eligibility criteria.  We applaud and honor their efforts.  Their focus on scholarship and community service at GCC today are indicators of the leadership and positive impact they will bring to workplaces and communities tomorrow."

Bob LaPalme, faculty adviser for the GCC PTK Chapter, said "Many four-year colleges recruit PTK members as transfer students because they know PTK members are highly motivated and maintained a high level of scholastic success throughout college.  PTK membership listed on a resumé definitely gets the attention of employers seeking bright, capable employees."

Erik Risinger, President of GCC's PTK chapter, is studying computer and electrical engineering.  After graduating with a Liberal Arts degree, Erik will complete his engineering studies at a four-year college.  He hopes to work with robots.  Erik said, "Phi Theta Kappa has brought me great friendships and working relationships with people at GCC with whom I would likely have never interacted. The ongoing service projects has provided a great outlet for my creative energies. I'm looking forward to the scholarship money schools offer PTK members upon transfer. College is expensive and scholarships matter. PTK has given me a lot of room (and reason) to grow during my time at GCC.  Being a member of an honor society has focused me, reminded me that my hard work is noticed, and motivated me to put forth my best effort.  PTK can be as much or as little as you want it to be.  Active participation is never required, but is always available for those motivated to make a difference in the world."

April 2011 Inductees:

Ashley Carey

Jamieson Chappell

Michelle Cobb

William Comfort

Tyler Cook

Amy Deneault

Jennifer Derby

Christopher Doty

Emily Eaton

Jill Eaton

Rose Farley

Monique Gagnon

Kai Geffen

Holly Griswold

Ariana Hyer

Christopher Jennison

Prasoon Karmacharya

Annelise Kloster

Anthony Leonard

Nicole Macheski

Alice Miller

Julian Olavegoya

Nicole Rice

Wendy Sigda

Joanna Singh

Max Smulyan

Jamie Spencer

Evelyn Stankowski

Viney Vidal

Rebecca Walsh

Joshua Whitcomb

Tara Williams

Amanda Wright

For information visit https://www.gcc.mass.edu/ptk/ or contact Bob LaPalme at or 413-775-1143.

Mary McClintock, '82