Prepared for the Unexpected

April 26, 2012

When Drew Starkweather '91 was a math/science Liberal Arts student at GCC, he had no idea he would eventually start an award-winning organic salad dressing and salsa business. Drew went to GCC striving to get out of the restaurant business in which he'd worked since he was a young teenager. Drew didn't expect to start a business, but while creating Drew's, he used every skill set he gained while studying at GCC. Lessons learned in storytelling class from Wilson Roberts gave him the confidence and skills to do sales talks. Knowledge gained in chemistry classes with Carlton Stinchfield were invaluable with product development. English classes with Phyllis Nahman showed him he knew how to write. What Drew didn't know while developing Drew's, he learned "on the fly," relying on skills he developed at GCC to find out what he needed to know. His greatest gift from GCC: learning how to learn.

How did Drew go from a GCC Liberal Arts degree to developing Drew's, employing 30+ people, and selling products all over North America? After GCC, Drew studied at the University of Rhode Island, but found the learning environment not as supportive as GCC. He left before completing his Bachelors' degree and worked his way up in restaurants, eventually becoming a Professional Chef. Drew worked for many years as a chef, including four years as the Executive Chef of the Deerfield Inn. While he enjoyed the autonomy and creativity possible in his work, the long hours weren't conducive to having a family.  

For years, Drew made Soy-Ginger dressing as gifts for family and friends. Then, restaurant patrons asked to buy his dressings. He put his GCC computer experience to work designing a label and produced more dressings. At first, Drew used restaurant kitchens on days they were closed to make products. Then, needing more room and help, he rented space in Brattleboro and invited his then sous chef, David Sargent, to become his business partner. David made products while Drew did sales and marketing. Sales grew. After outgrowing their second space in Brattleboro, Drew's moved to a new facility in Chester, Vermont, hired more staff, and continued to expand.

Running a large business is time-consuming and challenging. Wanting more time for family and less stress, Drew sold the business in 2010 to a family-owned company that kept everything the same, retaining all of his staff. Now, Drew is living a more balanced life, enjoying time with his family, small-scale farming, baking bread, and building a wood-fired pizza oven.

Drew learned more than specific skills and knowledge at GCC. "The biggest lesson I learned at GCC," Drew said, "is that you can do anything you want. I don't have a Bachelor's degree or an MBA, although I have been told I have earned both on the road of life. The skills and knowledge I gained at GCC were a well-rounded preparation for everything I've done since. For years, I've raved about GCC and the teachers there. When I was at GCC, I couldn't have imagined what I'd end up doing, but GCC sure helped me get me there."

For information about the business Drew created, visit www.chefdrew.com.

By Mary McClintock, '82

###