Cream of the Crop: National and State Honors for GCC Students

May 10, 2012

This spring, two Greenfield Community College students are getting more than recognition from the College for their successful studies, they are being presented with state and national awards. Here's a brief snapshot of that recognition.

Who? Which Honors?

Gabriela Maurier, 25, of Turners Falls has been awarded the Jack Kent Cooke Transfer Scholarship Award for 2012, one of 16 community college graduates nationally receiving this scholarship. The scholarship, up to $30,000 per year, is intended to cover a significant share of the student's educational expenses – including tuition, living expenses, books and required fees – for the final two to three years necessary to achieve a bachelor's degree.

Evelyn Stankowski, 19, of Sunderland is one of the "29 Who Shine", a group of outstanding Massachusetts public college and university graduates honored by the Department of Higher Education at a State House ceremony on May 10. The 29 Who Shine, one from each of the 29 Massachusetts public campuses, were chosen for this recognition based on their academic achievements and record of student leadership and community service.

Why?

Gabriela is an academically strong self-starter who graduates this spring with an Associate in Liberal Arts in Peace, Justice and Environmental Studies. At GCC, Gabriela has worked hard, taken on leadership roles with her peers, and assumed the cost of her education from the beginning. She is highly motivated and an independent thinker. Gabriela's goal (what she names as her "calling") to work for peace, social justice, and equality through civic engagement in local communities, has already been expressed by her in class projects and in her community.

Evelyn, who started at GCC as a 17 year old dual-enrolled student from the Franklin County Technical School, has become a confident leader in every class. She has been a member of Phi Theta Kappa (the national community college honor society), served as a Peer Tutor-- tutoring other students in Mathematics, Business, and Science and Chemistry courses--and volunteered at "Café Academia," a small campus eatery staffed by students. Evelyn also completed an internship at a local school for students with autism; and has been awarded scholarships for excellence in business, free market economic theory, and for representing women in academia. She will graduate with an Associate in Arts Business Administration Transfer degree.

What's Next?

Receiving this scholarship means Gabriela can consider transferring to a college she couldn't afford on her own (she refuses to burden herself with student loan debt). She hopes to attend Naropa University in Boulder, Colorado, to study toward a Bachelor's degree in peace studies, environmental studies, and psychology. Gabriela plans to use skills she's learned in nonviolent communication, conflict resolution, and sustainability/permaculture to build a healthy community, thriving on a local food and economic system. Since she was 19, Gabriela has had the dream of creating an inner-city restaurant/hostel/community center – a place for food, music, workshops, and education. She said, "As I work with people, past traumas and decades of systematic oppression, along with environmental racism, will surface, so the knowledge I will gain from psychology will also help me work with people one-on-one as well as in groups to repair the systems that are so broken."

Evelyn's plans for the future are carefully thought out and ambitious. Evelyn's father, who emigrated from Poland 27 years ago, has inspired her to work hard to achieve her dreams. Evelyn plans to transfer to the University of Massachusetts, Amherst to complete a Bachelor's Degree in Finance and Economics. Since she took her first course in economics at GCC, Evelyn has been fascinated with the broad policy-making and research work of the Federal Reserve Bank. After completing her studies at UMASS, Evelyn hopes to move to Boston or New York City and work at the Federal Reserve.

Reflecting on these honors:

Gabriela said, "I am still in shock, still taking in that I have this opportunity to pursue my dream. Researching and applying for scholarships added to the stress of a busy school and work schedule, but I learned that there are resources available if you look for them. When I was writing the application essays, I focused on my intention and continually told myself ‘I know I am the best candidate for this award.' I encourage everyone to believe in themselves and to seek the resources to turn their dreams into reality."

Evelyn said, "I am incredibly honored to have my hard work acknowledged, and to have the opportunity to meet the Governor. When I started at GCC when I was 17, I could never have imagined this. My father taught me that hard work definitely pays off and GCC has taught me that community colleges provide wonderful opportunities for their students. Receiving this honor reinforces those lessons."

GCC President Bob Pura said, "We are so very proud of each of our students. Gabriela and Evelyn are two wonderful examples of the intelligence, heart and courage found in the student body of GCC. Our hearts are filled and lifted."

For information about the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation scholarships, visit www.jkcf.org.

For information about "29 Who Shine", visit www.mass.edu/29whoshine/home.asp

By Mary McClintock '82

###