The beginning of the semester can be a busy time and questions often arise about teaching and college resources. This list of links and reminders is a starting point for your semester at GCC, but can also help you plan for important activities and deadlines.
♦ Print the academic calendar with holidays, professional dates and student deadlines.
♦ Make time to get to know your colleagues and your professional union, the MCCC and the local chapter. Consult the staff/faculty directory for contact information. Visit the faculty/staff calendar to learn about meeting and events of interest.
♦ Prepare your syllabus.
- Email a copy of the syllabus to the administrative assistant in your division office. Click here for syllabus help.
♦ Check course materials with the bookstore to make sure they are correct.
- Use the online bookstore link.
- Consider putting an extra copy of your text on reserve at the Nahman-Watson Library
♦ Use your GCC email for all correspondence to students and colleagues. Mobile access instructions.
♦ Verify the days and times of the class you are teaching along with the classroom using at MyGCC.
♦ Download your class roster for the first day of that class from MyGCC. Check back for roster updates until the end of add/drop. Contact any wait list students if there will be room in the class.
♦ Take student contact information such as daytime & evening phone and GCC & personal email can help you reach students outside of class. Be aware of students’ right under FERPA. If you need to cancel class for any reason, use MyGCC to alert students.
♦ Confirm your roster within the first weeks of class through MyGCC. This is critical for financial aid.
♦ Get to know student resources at GCC:
- Peer Tutoring
- The Wellness Center and Disability Services
- Math Studio
- Academic Advising Center
♦ Get to know professional resources available at GCC:
- Professional Development and Teaching Resources
- Look for workshops and brown bags that you can attend to discussion teaching strategies and problem solve around common challenges
- Online Learning Support
♦ The Testing Center is available for make-up exams as well as testing needs for students with accommodations. More information.
♦ Complete Early Progress Reports for any students who are having difficulty in your class. This can be related to behavioral issues, low grades or attendance problems. More information about EPRs available here.
♦ Have students complete the course evaluations on or before the last day of class. It can be helpful to get evaluations finished before the last class to avoid stress and missed evaluations due to weather cancellations. Choose a student volunteer to help administer the evaluations and return them to the division office. For more about evaluations see the faculty handbook.
♦ Submit Final Grades. Please get your grades submitted on time using MyGCC.
- Academic Advising Center
- Office and Services Directory
- Central Services for copying
- Testing Center
- The Nahman-Watson Library
- GCC Weather line: adverse weather/cancellation phone: 775-1010
- Faculty and Staff Resources link