Greenfield Community College uses an emergency alert system to send emergency phone, email and text messages to students and employees. Alerts will be sent as follows:
- At least once a school year to test the system.
- During emergency drills.
- During actual emergencies such as, but not limited to, dangerous weather approaching, bomb threats and suspicious packages, and incidents that threaten the safety of the community.
- If the college has already opened for the day, and a decision is then made to close early and/or cancel the remaining classes for the day due to inclement weather. Note: This system will NOT be used if the college decides at 6:00am to cancel classes or to delay opening. Continue to call 413-775-1010 (the GCC weather hotline), or check with designated TV and radio station, after 6am in these instances.
- If there is an unexpected need to close the college due to a utility failure or similar situation. In these rare instances, these alerts will generally be sent between 6am and 9pm.
Many college phones (offices, classrooms, hallways, etc.), as well as all GCC student/employee email accounts, are part of the emergency alert system. Student and employee personal phones and emails will only be a part of the alert system if individuals provide this information via the opt-in process; we strongly encourage you to do this. To add your personal contact information to our emergency alert database:
- Sign in to your MyGCC account. If you do not have a MyGCC account or need help signing in, submit a help desk ticket
- Hover over “My Account” button and then select “Rave Alert Opt-In/Out” in the Personal Information section.
- At the View Rave Alert Info page, click on the “Add/Remove Rave Alert Info” button.
- At the Update Rave Information page, add or delete information.
- Click on the “Submit Changes” button.
- Opting in to emergency alerts is separate from Class Cancellation notifications and other personal/emergency contact information in other sections of MyGCC.
- Changes made to emergency alert information will not take effect until the weekly report is uploaded on Thursday.
- Your emergency alert information will automatically be deleted from the weekly report once you are no longer enrolled in classes or employed at GCC.
- At the end of the spring semester, student information will be temporarily removed from the emergency alert database unless you are taking summer courses. If you return in the fall semester, your previously entered information will be put back into the database.
- Do not enter any GCC email addresses or college phone numbers on your personal emergency alert information page as these are entered into the database via a separate process.
- There is no cost to GCC students/employees to add your personal contact information to our emergency alert database except that, if you opt to receive text messages, you will be responsible for any text message charges assessed by your service provider.
Please contact Public Safety (775-1212) if you have any questions.