Now accepting applications for GCC’s Annual International Travel Award!
Stipends of up to $2200 will be awarded for 2-3 weeks of foreign language study abroad. Sample programs include French in Canada or France, or Spanish in Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala or Puerto Rico over a flexible selection of weeks in summer 2018. (Additional weeks possible at the student’s expense.) The awardee will be selected by the International Studies Committee and a representative of the Student Senate. Students must be returning to GCC in September 2018, must have completed 12 credits at GCC and some prior study of the language, and will be asked to give a presentation on their experience upon returning to the college.
Key selection criteria
- Who will benefit most? For whom will it be a life-changing experience?
- Who will be most able to communicate his/her experience?
- Who will be the best representative of the US and respond well to the role?
To apply, students must complete an application and submit an essay of not more than 3 double-spaced typed pages. Essays must include contact information: name, address, phone and email. In the essay, applicants should address these questions:
- How does an international experience fit into your personal and career goals?
- How would you describe the US to a citizen of the country you’d like to visit?
- How do you plan to build on this experience as you continue your language and culture studies and use your new skills?
Finalists will be selected and will meet with the selection panel to present and discuss their essays. If you have any questions, please see Charlotte Gifford (N223, x1227) or Norma Quesada (N221, x1282).
Deadline for essay submission is 5pm Thursday, March 15, 2018.
- About GCC
- Paying for college
- Student services
- Academic Advising Center
- College & Career Compass
- Disability & Accessibility Services
- Fitness Center
- Food Pantry
- Peer Tutoring
- Student Activities & Community Service
- Student Development
- Technology support
- Women's Resource Center
- Veterans Center
- Non-credit workshops