Students graduating from GCC have various options for transfer, especially once they have completed an Associate’s Degree. One of the well-known benefits of graduating from the Massachusetts public community college system is the ability of our graduates to take advantage of the Mass Transfer Option, with guaranteed admission and full transfer and applicability of credits by transferring to UMass Amherst and other four-year state colleges/universities.
What’s the catch? Students must:
- graduate from an approved Mass Transfer program
- have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 for most programs (some have higher GPA requirements)*
- caution: students who are not in good academic, financial and/or disciplinary status at all previously attended colleges and/or who have a criminal history may not be guaranteed Mass Transfer benefits
Students also need to take courses at GCC that will fulfill some of the specific requirements for the major at the transfer institution. For example, a student transferring into a 4-year Biology major typically needs to take Biology 1 and 2, Chemistry 1 and 2 and Applied Calculus.
Therefore, include discussion about GPA and course selection on a regular basis with your advisees.
Students who graduate with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.5 can apply for transfer but will not be guaranteed admission and, in some cases, will have limited options.
Encourage students to meet with the Transfer Coordinator for more comprehensive transfer advising.
* GPA requirements for UMass Amherst
- Business Administration Transfer 3.0
- Communications 2.7
- Computer Science 2.7
- Engineering 2.7
- Hospitality and Tourism Management 2.7
- Journalism 3.0
- Kinesiology 2.7-3.0