What Working Professionals are Saying About GCC's Online Computer & Business Courses. . .

April 25, 2014

What can working professionals learn through GCC's online computer and business courses?

"An incredible number of useful business tools and techniques that make our students very valuable in the workplace and the 'go to' people for the Office suite," according to GCC Computer and Information Systems (CIS) faculty member Doug Wilkins. "Many students taking our online courses tell me how the skills they've learned in our courses help them with the demands of their jobs. But don't take my word for it. Here's what the students are saying."

Brandon Lively, Vice-President, Information Systems, Greenfield Co-operative Bank, Greenfield

GCC graduate with Associate in Science in Computer Information Systems

"GCC Computer Information Systems classes, both online and on campus, have helped me grow as a professional. Classes that have had the most significant impact for my work include:

Microcomputer Software Tools I (Excel and PowerPoint) - I was able to improve efficiencies and work flows by taking advantage of what I learned to improve or create new internal spreadsheets. The Information Security PowerPoint presentation I created for my final class project is still in use at the Bank.

Relational Database Design – I created a complex but user-friendly database for our HR department that could generate benefit statements, vacation schedules, and various employee reports as well as track training and compensation for each employee."

* * *

Madeleine Roberts, Assistant to the Director of Business Intelligence at Fazzi Associates, a home health care coding firm, Northampton

Student at GCC, majoring in Accounting and earning certificates in Office Administration / Computer Information Systems and Bookkeeping 

"Online courses I have taken at GCC include Computer Programming Principles and Concepts, Microcomputer Software Tools II (Excel and PowerPoint), Creative Writing, and Microeconomics.  PowerPoint has been very useful in my new position at Fazzi Associates."

* * *

Clinton Stone, Realtor, Sawicki Real Estate, Amherst

Student at GCC, studying toward certificate in Entrepreneurship

"I have done so well with the variety of ways to take classes at GCC that I plan on finishing my certificate and then moving on to an Associates in Business at GCC. Professionally, I have learned great tools to implement in my career to gain a greater reach to my clients and the community."  

* * *

Amberlyn Beausoleil, Office Manager, Bostley Sanitary Services, Colrain

Studying toward Associates Degree in Office Management, graduating Fall 2014

"I use things I learned at GCC every day in my job, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. I have also taken my accounting classes online, learned about the accounting process and then use Quickbooks in my job."

* * *

Karen Maurice, Full-time Medical Record Auditor, Cooley Dickinson Hospital, Northampton

GCC Adjunct Faculty

"I have learned a lot about Word with Doug's expertise. I am finding it very helpful with my day job as a medical record auditor!"

* * *

Adam Gleason, Financial Specialist for Second Wind Consultants, Northampton

"These classes (Microcomputer Software Tools II - Excel and PowerPoint  and Programming) directly apply to a new skill set I can use to improve the way we operate. For a small company, we need to take advantage of such opportunities for improvement as often as possible."

* * *

Randy Andrews, Proprietor, Andrews Cleaning service, Northampton

Studying toward Accounting degree, will receive Computer Aided Bookkeeping certificate this semester

"I have taken Microcomputer Software Tools I and II, Relational Database Design, and  Principles of Financial Accounting I and II online. I am using the skills I've learned to start a bookkeeping and tax service. For example, I've designed letterhead and a business card, mail merged sales letters, and created spreadsheets to calculate depreciation and a customer prospect database for my small business." 

By Mary McClintock, '82

# # #