Influential Regional Nurse Meg Burch Named 2022 GCC Distinguished Alum

October 13, 2022

The GCC Foundation is pleased to announce that Meg Burch ‘04 has been selected as the 2022 Distinguished Alumni Award recipient.

Burch graduated from Greenfield Community College in 2010. Originally working in epidemiological research, she sought a career change and decided to pursue a degree in nursing at GCC and eventually a Master of Science in Epidemiology.

"GCC changed my life by providing me with an opportunity to expand and grow my career," Burch said. "Going back to school in my early 40s with school-aged children was challenging. My experiences in the nursing program reminded me of the power of small actions on the lives of others, the importance of community and the positive impact of mentors."

Burch added, "I gained confidence in myself at GCC and learned that I could do more than I thought I could. GCC taught me how to take an idea and work together with others to make it happen."

Burch has taken her skills and knowledge from GCC and built them into a successful nursing career that positively impacts the region. Currently, she is a Regional School Nurse Consultant for Western Massachusetts, primarily serving schools in Berkshire and Franklin Counties providing support, consultation, and workforce development for school nurses.

Before her current role, Burch worked in several nursing positions in regional schools, including the Frontier Regional and Union #38 school districts. She's also worked with other school nurses to bring professional development programs to her cohort.

In her roles, she's also been a critical part of the region's COVID-19 response. She led the response to the pandemic in the Frontier school district, including school-based COVID testing and vaccination clinics, and co-hosted meetings between school medical staffs in the area to strengthen the response to COVID.

Beyond her professional life, Burch is also active in the community. She joins Monte's March each year, which raises money for the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts. Burch also worked with others to start a "mini-Monte's March" at Conway Grammar school to show solidarity with Monte's March, raise funds and increase awareness of food insecurity.

Burch has also participated in the annual Will Bike 4 Food, Wheeling for Healing and volunteers each year for the Franklin Land Trust during their D2R2 ride.