Admission & immunization

In compliance with the Commonwealth’s College Immunization Law, all full-time students (enrolled in 12 or more credits) and all full-time and part-time international students must provide the Health Services Office with documentation of immunity to specified communicable diseases within 30 days of starting classes. Failure to comply with these requirements will jeopardize continued enrollment, receipt of grade reports, transcripts, etc. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed.

Download the Immunization Form

Important Notice for College Students Regarding Meningitis

Special programs

In addition to proof of the above immunizations, all students in the Paramedic (PMC), Medical Assistant (MAC), Practical Nursing (PNC) and Nursing (ADN) programs must provide us with documentation of a health history and physical exam.


Health records & immunization

Where can I get vaccinated?

It is best to see your primary care provider for vaccinations or proof of immunization. If you do not have a healthcare provider you may visit a community health center to become a patient there or visit an urgent care clinic or pharmacy location that provides vaccinations.  Call ahead to determine if an appointment is necessary and verify that your insurance covers the service. Bring a photo ID, insurance information and your GCC immunization form with you to the clinic for them to sign or get a copy of their documentation to submit to us showing your vaccination or laboratory proof of immunity. Below is a sample of sites in our area:

Vaccinations & lab tests for immunity

  • AFC Urgent Care
  • Clear Choice
  • Community Health Center of Franklin County
  • MedExpress
  • On Call Urgent Care
  • Travel Medicine
  • Hospital-affiliated urgent care centers such as Baystate, Mercy & Cooley Dickinson

Vaccinations only – check the store first to ensure they provide this service

  • CVS stores with a Minute Clinic
  • Rite Aid Pharmacy
  • Walgreen’s Pharmacy
  • Big Y Pharmacies
  • Costco Pharmacies

What immunizations are required to attend GCC?

Massachusetts State law requires all full-time students (12 credits or more), all international students on student visas, and all full- and part-time students in a health occupation program to provide proof of immunization for measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, varicella and Hepatitis B.

Where can I find my immunization records?

  • Check with your current primary care provider or any previous providers you may have had.
  • Check with previous schools you have attended.
  • Ask your parents if they have any documentation.
  • Check your military records.

I can’t locate any documentation for my immunizations, what can I do?

If you know you’ve had immunizations in the past but can’t find documentation, you can have blood tests (titers) for measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and Hepatitis B to prove immunity. If you fail to prove immunity you will have to receive the immunizations. Titers must be done by your medical provider or a medical clinic and documentation of the tests must be provided to our office.

I am an older student; do I still need to provide proof of immunity?

It depends on your program. Anyone born in the United States before 1957 does not have to provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) unless they are in a health occupations program. Anyone born before 1980 does not have to provide proof of varicella immunity unless they are in a health occupation program. All other immunization requirements apply to older students.

How long do I have to provide my immunization documentation?

You have 30 days from the start of classes. Health occupations students have program-specific deadline dates. Check individual health occupation health forms for deadlines.

What happens if I don’t get my documentation to the Health Records office within 30 days?

A hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able to register for further classes, add or drop classes, get transcripts or grades. For health occupations students, missed deadlines jeopardize placement in the intended program.

What is a Health Records hold and what do I need to do to resolve it?

A Health Records hold indicates that your health records are incomplete. An email is sent to your GCC account at the beginning of each semester to inform you of what is missing. You may also email or call the nurses in the Health Records office to see what you are missing and how to resolve the matter. There may be missing vaccines or clinician signatures, or have inadequate documentation. As soon as valid documentation is received by the Health Records nurses they can remove the hold. Documents may be faxed by your health care provider to 413-775-1434, brought to the nurses in Health Records Office N408, left in a locked box in Admissions or outside N408 or mailed to the Health Records office.

How will the Health Records Office protect the privacy of my health information?

The Health Records Office will only send emails regarding health records to students at their GCC email address. This system provides an added level of security beyond commercial email accounts. You should routinely check your GCC email to stay informed. If your GCC email account isn’t set up yet you may call one of the nurses to discuss your questions or concerns. Paper records are secured in locked files and locked storage with restricted access.

How long do you keep immunization records?

Paper records are kept for 10 years for all students. Electronic records are kept for many years but may not include all the information you may need. You should always make copies of your health records before submitting them for your own records.