So you need to take a math placement test. Download our Math Placement Testing Guide for an overview of the placement testing process and GCC math courses. We also recommend the following options to help you get ready for testing.
- Sign-up for My Math Test. This is an online computer program that can help you refresh your arithmetic and algebra skills. The GCC Math Department has created a series of 15 tests at this site that correspond to the content of our three developmental math classes. Once you complete a test, a study plan is created for you based on your results. My Math Test is a commercial product (not affiliated with GCC), so it does cost money. Download our guide to mymathtest.com
- Visit Khan Academy. Khan Academy is a not-for-profit organization; their videos and practice problems are available free of charge (but are not specifically tailored to our three developmental classes). Download our guide to Khan Academy
- Study the materials that the math department has put on reserve in the GCC Nahman-Watson library (these materials may be checked out).
- Borrow a text book from the Math Studio (N401).
In response to the request made by the Board of Higher Education’s Task Force on Transforming Developmental Math Education, GCC will implement the following pilot project beginning in the fall 2014 semester.
1. All students will continue to take the ACCUPLACER math placement test. Each student’s initial math placement will be determined by her/his math ACCUPLACER scores.
2. Upon completion of the math placement test, students will meet with an academic advisor. 2014 high school graduates will have the following options:
- Those who placed into a college-level math course appropriate to their course of study will be allowed to enroll in that course.
- Those who placed into a developmental math course but whose transcripts show a high school GPA of 2.7 or higher and a B or higher in Algebra II or an equivalent course will be allowed to enroll in the gateway college-level math course appropriate to their course of study.
- Those who placed into a developmental math course and do not meet the criteria spelled out above will need to take the appropriate developmental math course. These students, like all GCC students, will also have the option of retesting.