Greenfield Community College President Yves Salmon-Fernández to Step Down

June 22, 2021

Greenfield Community College Board Chair Robert Cohn announced today that GCC President, Dr. Yves Salmon-Fernández, has informed the Board and College community of her intention to step down as GCC President, effective August 15, for an opportunity at Southern New Hampshire University.

"Dr. Salomon-Fernández has served the College well during her tenure," Cohn said. "She understood and appreciated the important role GCC plays in Franklin and Hampshire Counties and beyond. She stepped in to continue its mission of providing access to education and workforce training to best serve the needs of residents and employers in the region." He noted that Salomon-Fernández understands, just as her predecessor Dr. Robert L. Pura did, that GCC has not just educated and trained the members of this community for nearly six decades, it is this community.

In a letter to the College community, Salmon-Fernández wrote,

"After three intense years advancing our institution, including over a year through a global pandemic and our generation's most impactful social and cultural movement, I have made the decision to step down as President of Greenfield Community College. I have accepted a Senior Vice President position at Southern New Hampshire University and will be leaving GCC effective August 15. I look forward to a less public life.

"These last three years have been nothing short of extraordinary. I have had the opportunity to lead the College in entrepreneurial and innovative ways with the support of a very competent managerial team, faculty and staff, and a deeply committed board. I am most proud of our work in the areas of student success, fiscal management, community engagement, fundraising, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and around evolving the academic enterprise for the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century.

"I am grateful to have had the opportunity to lead such a vital institution for our region. I remain committed to the College and the community. I thank you for the privilege of having been entrusted with leading and stewarding our region's beloved college. Our family is very fond of the region and plan on remaining in the area as I transition to remote work."

The GCC Board of Trustees will convene immediately to identify the institution's best options for an interim presidency after Salomon-Fernández's departure. Board President Robert Cohn, speaking on behalf of the Board, says "We are sorry to see Yves leave and appreciate her good work these past three years."