Student ResourcesStop the Spread COVID TestingCOVID-19 General Information

Greenfield Community College

Greenfield Community College

Military and New Student Veterans Resources

If you are simply considering your next challenge or have already chosen GCC as a stepping stone to the career of your dreams, this page has important information to help you on your way.

The first concern most veterans, military members and dependents have is how much financial help is available for their education. Find out your options with the GI BILL Comparison Tool. (GI BILL ®) : ‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at”

Please note that GCC does NOT participate in the Air Force Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). If you are eligible for TAP, please call our Veterans Services Office (413) 775-1885 so we can discuss other financial aid options that may be available to you.

Your next step is to apply for your benefits:

Create an account with your basic information and in about a week you will get access to your Certificate of Basic Eligibility (COBE). This document will tell you the amount of aid you have earned through your military service.

There is a new law regarding student veterans who have been regarded as “Out of State” students: The Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014. The new law makes it possible for many of these students to pay tuition and fees at the “In State” rates in many cases beginning July 1, 2015. To see if you qualify, call GCC’s certifying Official (413) 775-1885.

(Public Law 113-146) changed the amount of tuition and fee charges which can be reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  Effective July 1, 2015, public institutions of higher education must charge qualifying veterans and dependents tuition and fees at the rate for in-state residents.

Also, the VA has several rules regarding your acceptance of student aid. We highly recommend reading the following guidelines to prevent the many situations where you could be required to reimburse the VA.  Guidelines for using VA Aid updated 11-18-19.docx

The process of applying to college, registering for courses and preparing to transition to your new life as a college student can be daunting for many new student veterans. This handy checklist should make the process less overwhelming: Enrollment Checklist revised 11-18-19 (00000002)

If you live in Massachusetts, are not in default of federal student loans and do not already have a BA degree, fill out this form and bring it to N215 so GCC can waive your tuition: Tuition Waiver updated 7 -2018.

You may have earned college credit during your military service. It is well worth your time to request a military transcript because it could save you a significant amount of both money and time. For all branches of military service, go to:

GCC participates in the VALOR Act Academic Credit Evaluation Policy regarding military transfer credit. Learn more about the VALOR Act »

Interested in earning college credits FREE? You are encouraged to explore CLEP testing to earn college credit by exam. The VA will pay for this testing! Learn more about CLEP exams »