Request Accommodations

In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) of 2008, GCC offers accommodations for eligible students with documented disabilities. Students must request services and must provide appropriate medical documentation.

To obtain accommodations, please do the following:

  1. Complete and sign the Voluntary Statement of Learning Needs form, which informs us of the nature of your disability, or situation, and authorizes us to review disability related documentation you’ve provided or released to Disability Services in order to determine eligibility for academic accommodations.
  2. Obtain up to date copies of medical documentation of your disability from your high school or from the medical provider who is most familiar with your needs and your disability. Medical documentation provided must clearly state your diagnosis and should describe the symptoms which impact your ability to function in the educational environment and specific recommendations for accommodations. For detailed information about GCC’s documentation guidelines, please refer to our Guidelines for Documenting a Disability. All documentation received by the college is strictly confidential and is held in accordance with FERPA and related regulations.
  3. Submit completed Voluntary Statement of Learning Needs form along WITH copies of your medical documentation to the Office of Disability Services for processing. Based on the information provided by you in combination with information from your medical documentation, Disability Services will draft an Accommodation Agreement (ADA/504 Plan) that outlines what specific accommodations you are eligible for which you can present to your course instructors each semester to advise them of your needs.
  4. Call (413) 775-1332 or email to schedule an appointment with the office of Disability Services. The Coordinator of Disability Services or Learning Support Counselor will work with you to develop an Accommodation Agreement that you can present to instructors to advise them of your needs.

Some accommodations may take up to 12 weeks to obtain. We advise students to establish eligibility with Disability Services well before the semester begins. If you have any questions, please contact the Coordinator of Disability Services. Students do not need to register with the office of Disability Services in order to access college support services. Students are encouraged to take advantage of the many services that are available, such as peer tutoring, the writing and math assistance programs, the Math Studio, the Social Science Studio, student workshops and counseling.