Recent high school graduates and early entrant students who earned “A”s and “B”s in English and math generally do well on the placement test. Those who struggled in high school or have been out of school for two or more years may need more preparation to achieve college level scores.
We highly recommend that all students take the Accuplacer practice questions (see link below) before scheduling the real thing at GCC. If a student struggles with any or all of the practice questions, that student should delay taking the test until they have had a chance to review.
Online Study Program
- The College Board offers useful program to study for the Accuplacer tests. It is available at https://store.collegeboard.org. It is FREE.
Sample Questions and Answers
- You can also access sample questions free at http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/accuplacer-sample-questions-for-students.pdf
GCC’s Math Department
- See recommendations from the Math Department to prepare for the placement test: http://www.gcc.mass.edu/math/placement-testing/
- A comprehensive Accuplacer prep book is available for your use in the GCC library or you can purchase one from Amazon.com or many other online retailers.
- http://www.khanacademy.org (Math Videos)
Students whose first language is not English are encouraged take the English fluency test before taking the placement test. Call our ESOL Department at (413) 775-1226.
Students with documented disabilities may benefit by calling Disabilities Services at (413) 775-1332.