Success Coaches are professional staff members in the Advising Center who help students navigate GCC policies and systems, implement strategies, and connect to campus resources that will contribute to their academic success and retention. Success coaching emphasizes relationship-building, proactive outreach, consistent follow-up, and use of existing resources. If you know a student who could benefit from success coaching – whether long-term or temporarily – complete the form below. Doing so will initiate a process of outreach and referral intended to support the student and help them access the resources they need or take the actions necessary to be successful.
Course Details & Periodicity
Course periodicity (i.e., when courses are offered) is essential for accurate educational planning. At the beginning of a student’s enrollment and then in each subsequent semester, the student and advisor need to consider periodicity when mapping out the semester-by-semester plan for program completion. Students should visit MyGCC or refer to the Registration Bulletin published in the spring, summer and fall to determine whether a course labeled periodic is offered that term.
Registration and Degree Planning Tools
- Guide to Self-Registration and Self-Waitlist
- Preparing for Your Advising Session
- Two-Year Academic Schedule Outline
- Choosing a Major
- Degree Planner
- How to Make a Class Schedule that Works for You
- Adding a Class After the Add/Drop Period
Degree Audit Checklists
A degree audit is a tool to help you and your advisee track progress toward degree completion. Each major or program of study has an associated degree audit. Please use the degree audit as a checklist to track the courses your advisees take each semester. This will help with planning for graduation and transfer. Prior to graduation, advisors are required to submit completed degree audits to the Registrar’s Office for review.
Specialized Advising Resources
Archived Advising List Updates
4.08.2020 Advising Update – Withdrawal dates, *NEW* Forms, Moodle for advisors, PINs, and more!
Archived Advising Issue of the Day
In preparation for new advising periods, Advising Center staff develop brief summaries of common issues that come up when advising students. The following briefs have been developed to address some common advising issues and questions. Please review these briefs as you prepare for the new registration period and look for new briefs the week leading up to each new advising period—these will be delivered directly to advisor email inboxes and posted here. If you have new questions or topics you’d like to see included in a brief, email email@example.com.
- 3.29.2020 Advising & Registration update
- Accuplacer Testing Preparation
- Advising First-Generation and Non-Traditional Students
- Advisor Notes as Memo
- Auditing a Class – New Guidelines
- Considerations for Veterans and Online Courses
- Considerations When Dropping a Class
- Course Equivalencies for Massachusetts State Colleges and Universities
- Degree Audits: Beware the Failed Course
- Developing an Education Plan
- How to see graduation application status
- Impact of Failed Courses for Veterans
- MassTransfer: Real Life Examples of Problems
- MassTransfer: Requirements for Guaranteed Admission
- The Complication of Math Procrastination
- Top Five Financial Aid Misconceptions Explained
- Transfer 101
- UMass Foreign Language Requirements
- Using the Mass Transfer Pathways
- Using Unofficial Transcripts for Override
- Weaving Career Exploration into Academic Advising
- What Does Your Colleague Know That You Don’t? Maybe She’s Reading Advising Notes!
- What-If Scenarios: Calculating the GPA