Refund policies

  • If you are considering dropping classes, exchanging classes (drop a class and add another class of equal credit), officially withdrawing from all of your classes, or simply not showing up for classes after the semester begins, it is very important that you read our refund policy to learn when you will be entitled to a reduction in charges or refund of payments.

    Notice to financial aid/student loan recipients

    Before you change your current enrollment plans, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to learn how this may impact your financial aid. Enrollment changes may affect your eligibility for financial aid for the current semester and in future semesters.

    Students are encouraged to review the Financial Aid Withdrawal Policies on their website at:
    Students can contact that office directly at or by calling 413.775.1109.

    Refund policy for credit courses

    Refund periods vary by semester. Be sure to read the policy carefully. It is also on page two of all bills sent to you. You must drop classes or withdraw according to the official policy in order to receive any reduction in charges or refund of payments. In all cases, the date of your formal withdrawal will determine your eligibility for a reduction in charges. A full reduction in charges will be granted if a course or non-credit class/workshop is cancelled by the college. For non-credit classes, check with our Community Education/Workforce Development Department.

    Process for withdrawal

    Dropping one or more classes, but not all of your classes:

    To drop one or more classes, but not all of your classes, before the add/drop deadline, login into your MyGCC account.  A menu will be displayed to the left of your screen. Click the drop-down arrow on the green button labeled ‘Submit a Form’. Choose ‘Drop a Class’. You will need to complete this form and submit it.

    Dropping all of your classes:

    If you are dropping all of your courses, login to your MyGCC account and follow instructions above to locate the online form. Please choose the ‘Withdraw from all Classes’ form. Note: Use this form only if you intend to drop all classes and withdraw entirely from GCC or if you are requesting late withdrawal. If you just want to drop one or two classes before the add/drop deadline, use the Drop a Class Form .

    Check the Academic Calendar for withdrawal deadlines.

    If you need assistance, contact your Advisor or the Advising Center at Alternatively, you can contact the Enrollment Services Office at If you need additional guidance on how to withdraw from classes call: Advising Center at (413) 775-1339 or Enrollment Services (C103) at (413) 775-1801.

    For grading purposes, your withdrawal request must be submitted before the last day to drop/withdraw with a grade of “W” per the academic calendar. Any late submittals will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the Registrar and the Dean of Students and granted only under exceptional circumstances. If not approved, a grade will be assigned by the instructor based on the work completed.

    In order to receive a reduction in charges and/or a refund of payments, you must complete the official withdrawal process within the specified dates below. NOTE: There will be no reduction of charges or refund of payments for any withdrawals occurring after the last day to drop with a 75 percent refund, as noted below. The $20 registration fee and $35 payment plan fee are non-refundable.  

    Withdrawal prior to semester start

    If you withdraw from some or all of your credit classes prior to the start of the semester (not before the specific class begins), a full reduction in charges for both tuition and fees, less the $20 registration fee and $35 payment plan fee, will be granted. The registration and payment plan fees will remain on your account and you will continue to be billed for them until paid.

    Withdrawal after semester starts

    Refund deadlines vary for classes that do not meet for the entire semester (non-standard semesters) and for intersession and weekend class schedules. Most non-standard class refund deadlines are listed here. If you do not see your class listed, please check with the Enrollment Services office at (413) 775-1801 or (413) 775-1807 to inquire about those deadlines.

    Generally, for the purposes of obtaining a reduction in charges, if you withdraw from regularly scheduled credit class(es) during the refund period dates, you will receive a reduction in charges of both tuition and fees as follows:

    Semester Refund period Percent Effective dates
    Fall 2022 First week of semester 100% Sep. 07, 2022 to Sep. 13, 2022
    Fall 2022 Second week of semester 75% Sep. 14, 2022 to Sep. 20, 2022
    Summer II 2022 100% Jul. 14, 2022 to Jul. 19, 2022
    Summer II 2022 75% Jul. 20, 2022 to Jul. 21, 2022
    Summer I 2022 100% May 23, 2022 to May 26, 2022
    Summer I 2022 75% May 27, 2022 to May 31, 2022
    Spring 2022 First week of semester 100% Jan. 24, 2022 to Jan. 28, 2022
    Spring 2022 Second week of semester 75% Jan. 29, 2022 to Feb. 04, 2022

    The specific refund period dates for regularly scheduled credit classes are published on the academic calendar. We will also publish them on the reverse of all billing statements.

    Even exchange of classes during refund periods

    An even exchange of classes is only permitted through the last day of the 100% refund period. After that date, if you drop a class and add another class during the 75% refund period, you will pay full cost for the added class and receive only 75 percent refund for the dropped class. After the 75% percent refund period, you will be charged at full cost for any added or dropped classes.

    If you are entitled to a refund of any payments after a reduction in charges, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for refund processing.

    If you withdraw from all or some of your classes after the refund periods expire, you will not receive any reduction in charges and you will be responsible for paying all charges remaining on your account. 

    Withdrawal due to medical issues

    If you withdraw for medical reasons, our regular refund policy applies. There is no refund for medical withdrawal after the refund period has expired. Withdrawal due to health issues is treated no differently than a normal withdrawal. You can obtain all required medical withdrawal forms from the Registrar’s Office or online at Please call the Chief Student Affairs Officer for further guidance on medical withdrawals at 413-775-1868.

    Non-Credit Workshop Refund Policy

    A full refund is made if a workshop is cancelled. Official withdrawal by seven (7) calendar days prior to the first meeting of workshop results in a refund minus a $10 non-refundable registration fee. Withdrawal beyond that point in time allows for no refund. Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing your refund. Click here for additional information about Workforce Development and Community Education (Non-credit Department).

    Requesting an exception to our refund policy

    To learn about requesting an exception to the refund policy visit our Appeals Process section.

  • Financial aid and student loans are tentative and based on your continued enrollment, the number of credits you are taking, and regular class attendance. Therefore, if you stop attending classes, never attended classes, or decrease the number of credits you are taking, your financial aid/student loans may be adjusted and you may end up owing the college money.

    Federal Financial Aid Refund Policy

    When students stop attending classes, officially drop classes, or withdraw from the College, they may have their financial aid payments adjusted to reflect the actual percentage of time that they have attended class(es) and/or other educational activity. This percentage will be calculated by the number of days the student has attended divided by the number of days in the semester. The College and student must return any unearned aid to the appropriate funding sources (i.e. Pell grant, SEOG grant, Stafford Loan). The College will have only thirty (30) days to determine the correct amount of funds the student has earned and notify the student if a refund must be collected for any aid previously disbursed or if there is a balance owed to the College. Students must respond by contacting the Student Billing Office within 45 days from the date of the financial aid notification to arrange an acceptable repayment agreement. Therefore, students will need to work very closely with the Financial Aid office as they stop attending classes, officially drop classes, or withdraw from the College. For questions on how those actions will affect your Financial Aid package, contact the Financial Aid office at (413) 775-1109.

    Your financial aid/student loans may be adjusted and you may be responsible for repaying your refund and any tuition and fee balance.

    Financial aid and student loans are tentative and based on your continued enrollment and attendance of your classes. Therefore, if you have a financial aid/student loan excess refund check because your financial aid and/or student loans exceeds your total charges, please be aware that if you officially withdrew, never attended, stopped attending, or reduced the amount of credits you are taking, you may not be entitled to all or some of your financial aid and/or student loans. Remember, you must be attending all of your classes regularly in order to remain eligible for your grants/loans.

    If you receive an excess refund check and subsequently one or more of your instructors reports to the Registrar that you have not been attending classes, you may end up owing the college for any excess funds you received that you weren’t entitled to. If the Financial Aid Office reduces your aid/loans, you will be responsible for repaying any excess financial aid refund and/or any tuition and fee balance that may result from the adjustment. You are strongly urged to check with the Financial Aid Office to learn how your aid will be affected.

    You may still owe a balance on your account for health insurance, parking tickets, exam fees, or other charges. Even though you may have a financial aid excess refund, it is still possible for you to have an existing balance on your account for the semester. If that is the case, you will receive a bill with your excess financial aid/student loan check which you are obligated to pay. An obligation hold will also be placed on your account that will prevent you from obtaining additional services from the College such as future registration, grades for the current semester, or academic transcripts until you resolve the balance issue.

    Federal regulations prohibit financial aid funds to be used to pay certain charges such as parking fines or world language exam fees. Therefore, you must pay these types of charges out of pocket.