Appeals process

Requesting an exception to the College’s refund policy

Appeals based on non-medical reasons

You can request an exception to our refund policy by submitting a written appeal to the Bursar in the Student Billing Office. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis depending extenuating circumstances that were beyond your control. An appeal request must contain enough information and supporting documentation to allow an examination of all pertinent facts related to the incident that caused you to withdraw or stop attending after the official refund periods. Appeal requests and supporting documentation must be submitted within 60 days from the date of your official withdrawal, or, your last date of attendance, if you did not officially withdraw.

The preferred method for submitting an appeal is by email. This will expedite the process. Submit email appeals to: Send email appeals using your GCC student email account, or another account that you have authorized on your MyGCC account at In the subject line enter: Appeal and the relevant semester for which you are requesting and exception to our refund policy.

Alternatively, submit your appeal by postal mail to:

Greenfield Community College Bursar’s Office
ATTN: Student Appeals
One College Drive,
Greenfield, MA 01301

If your appeal request includes supporting documentation, you can send the materials either by postal mail or as scanned attachments to an email message.

Appeals based on medical reasons (a two-step process)

Step 1:

If a student is requesting an exception to policy based upon medical reasons, a medical withdrawal request must first be submitted, along with medical documentation, directly to Enrollment Services. The request must be submitted to the Enrollment Services office (C103) within 60 days of the date of the incident or start of the medical condition.

Either a note (from a doctor, therapist, psychologist, e.g.) on the provider’s letterhead stationery, or a completed Provider Information Form must accompany medical withdrawal requests. All required forms are available from the Registrar’s Office or onlinePlease call Enrollment Services for further guidance on medical withdrawals at 413-775-1801.

If a medical withdrawal is approved, the Registrar will be notified. That documentation, along with the original request, will become a part of the student’s record.

Step 2:

After a medical withdrawal has been approved, an appeal can be filed requesting an exception to the GCC refund policy. See instructions above. A medical withdrawal does not guarantee a reduction of charges, but is one criterion considered during review of the appeal. When writing to the Bursar, the student should indicate that a medical withdrawal has already been approved by Enrollment Services. The student should not include medical documentation when filing an appeal to the Bursar.