When Juliana Aprileo started at GCC, she had just turned 17, was half-way through her junior year of high school and looking for a different learning environment. She found it [...]
Placement tests in reading, English and math are generally required for all incoming students to ensure that you are placed into the most appropriate courses. You will need to schedule a placement test prior to registration if:
- You have never taken ACCUPLACER placement tests at GCC or another Masschusetts community college
- You have not taken college-level English and passed with a C or better at another college
- You have not taken a college-level math course and passed with a C or better in the last five years
- You have not taken the ACCUPLACER math test within the last five years
For detailed information about testing, or to schedule a testing appointment, visit the Testing Center website.
Math placement pilot project
In response to the request made by the Board of Higher Education’s Task Force on Transforming Developmental Math Education, GCC will implement the following pilot project beginning in the fall 2014 semester.
1. All students will continue to take the ACCUPLACER math placement test. Each student’s initial math placement will be determined by her/his math ACCUPLACER scores.
2. Upon completion of the math placement test, students will meet with an academic advisor. 2014 high school graduates will have the following options:
- Those who placed into a college-level math course appropriate to their course of study will be allowed to enroll in that course.
- Those who placed into a developmental math course but whose transcripts show a high school GPA of 2.7 or higher and a B or higher in Algebra II or an equivalent course will be allowed to enroll in the gateway college-level math course appropriate to their course of study.
- Those who placed into a developmental math course and do not meet the criteria spelled out above will need to take the appropriate developmental math course. These students, like all GCC students, will also have the option of retesting.