Faculty members may place their own materials on reserve for a class for any period of time during the semester. Faculty members may also request that available GCC Library circulating material be placed on reserve. Print materials can be placed on reserve for the entire semester. Visual materials can be placed on reserve for any two week period during the semester. Reference books and periodicals cannot be placed on reserve. The Library advises faculty to request Library materials they wish to place on reserve before the semester starts. Items checked out to other GCC affiliates, or already placed on reserve for other classes will not be recalled (see Borrowing & Circulation for more information). It is the responsibility of the faculty member to notify the library when materials are no longer needed on reserve. At the end of each semester, all GCC Library materials on reserve will be returned to the circulating collection. Faculty members are responsible for retrieving their personal reserve materials.
Contact Terry Smith, Circulation Supervisor, at email@example.com or 775-1837 or by stopping by the Library to place material on reserve. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Your name
- The course number and name
- Your personal materials for reserve
- The titles and call numbers of GCC Library materials to be placed on reserve
- The loan period for each item (Items can be placed on two-hour, two-day, or seven-day reserve. We recommend that most material be placed on two-hour reserve.)
Our goal is to have regular reserve items available on the same day that you bring the material to the library, however, this will not always be possible. Please plan ahead!
Notifying Students about Reserve Materials
Please use the words “on reserve at the Circulation Desk” when referring students to the Library as they are often confused about where materials are located. Please inform students that they will need to know the course number as well as your name, and must have a library card, in order to check out reserve materials.
Instructors are responsible for copyright compliance related to materials they place on reserve. There is copyright information available at the reserve desk in the library and under the link for Copyright provided on this page.
You may check on your course reserves by using the GCC Online Catalog and following these steps:
1. Click on “Catalog” on the menu to your left.
2. Click on the COURSE RESERVES button.
3. Search course reserves by PROFESSOR/INSTRUCTOR or the COURSE NAME. If you search by name, use the following format: last name, first name. If you search by course name, you must put GCC in front of the course name. Example: GCC ENG 116