It pays to give yourself a reality check.
- Strengthen your conviction about a specific career
- Increase your ability to speak to your qualifications for one or more occupations
- Discover a more meaningful and viable career path
Career & Financial Need / Lifestyle Alignment
- JumpStart Reality Check Tool
- Living Wage Calculator by MIT
- Cost of Living in Cities (video)
- CareerWise Dream Jobs Reality Check
- MassCIS Assessment Reality Check
When using wage/salary research tools, please keep in mind that salaries can vary considerably from state to state, as well as region to region. For example, people in Western MA make, on average, 65 cents to every dollar made in Eastern MA.
- MassCIS Occupation Tab
- CareerOneStop Wages by Occupation & Area
- Salary Search Tool
- BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook
Take an inventory of what skills and knowledge you have now and what your career(s) of interest would require. Then write down what you still need to learn as goals and action steps in your career plan, SMART Goal Worksheet, and calendar.
Get Objective about Your Skills & Conduct Your Own Gap Analysis
Career Exploration & Decision-Making Organizers
- Career Goal & Comparison Table
- Time Budget Worksheet
- MA Work-Based Learning Plan (WBLP) – Although the WBLP is used to assess the growth and performance of interns and employees, it can also be used as a self-assessment and goal setting tool. What employability skills could be stronger (page 1)? What professional development goals could you add to page 2? Now add some time frames, strategies, and resources to greatly increase your chances of success.
Additional Career Exploration Processes & Resources
- Marketable Skills – Which skills can you market or need to obtain?
- Occupational Research – What do occupations involve and which is the best fit for you?
- Labor Market Information Research (LMI) – How can work-related data and analysis inform career choices?
- Experiential Research – What hands-on and real-world experiences will reveal which jobs are the best “fit”?
- Education Research – What education options will inform and help you achieve your career/life goals?